- Drought Photo
Photo source: Folsom lake, CA Nov. 2015, http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=137908&picture=folsom-lake-susza-84
- The world is warming. Fast.
- Record data: National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), “State of the Climate: Global Analysis for Annual 2015,” accessed 3/11/16. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201513
- Temperature data: NCEI, NOAA, “Climate at a Glance – Time Series,” accessed 3/11/16. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/time-series/global
- Why is it warming?
- Process & drivers of climate change: Earth Science Communications Team, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory and California Institute of Technology, “Facts – Causes,” 3/16/16. http://climate.nasa.gov/causes/
- CO2 PPM data: Scripps Institute of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, “The Keeling Curve (800,000 years),” 3/14/16. https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/
- GHG & GW are same strength of link as smoking & cancer: Douglas Fischer, Scientific American, “Climate Risks as Conclusive as Link between Smoking and Lung Cancer,” 3/19/14. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-risks-as-conclusive-as-link-between-smoking-and-lung-cancer/
- Where does heat-trapping pollution come from?
- U.S. EPA, EPA 430-R-16-002, “DRAFT Inventory of U.S. Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990 – 2014,” 2/22/16. http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/Downloads/ghgemissions/US-GHG-Inventory-2016-Main-Text.pdf
- Climate Change is bad for the economy.
- Burke, Hsiang, Miguel, Nature, “Global Non-linear Effect of Temperature on Economic Production,” Replication data, 10/21/15. http://web.stanford.edu/~mburke/climate/
- Climate Change is risky for business.
- Risky Business: Risky Business Project, “Risky Business: The Economic Risks of Climate Change in the United States,” 06/2014. http://riskybusiness.org/site/assets/uploads/2015/09/RiskyBusiness_Report_WEB_09_08_14.pdf
- Mercer: Mercer, “Investing in a Time of Climate Change – 2015 Study,” Executive Summary, 6/4/15. http://www.mercer.com/insights/focus/invest-in-climate-change-study-2015/executive-summary.html
Photo source: Fort Calhoun nuclear reactor on June 16, 2011 during Missouri River flood, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Calhoun-Corp_of_Eng._6-16-11A_266.jpg
- Climate Change threatens public health.
- The Impacts of Climate Change on Human Health in the United States: A Scientific Assessment. 4/4/16. https://health2016.globalchange.gov/
- Air Quality: American Lung Association, “Climate Change and Lung Health,” accessed 3/11/16. http://www.lung.org/our-initiatives/healthy-air/outdoor/climate-change/climate-change-lung-health.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
- Air Quality: De Blois J, Kjellstrom, Agewall, et. al, Cardiology, “The Effects of Climate Change on Cardiac Health,” 07/2015. https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/398787#
- Water Quality: U.S. EPA, Nutrient Pollution, “Climate Change and Harmful Algal Blooms,” updated 1/27/16. http://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/climate-change-and-harmful-algal-blooms
- Water Quality: US EPA, Report: “Climate Change in the U.S. – Benefits of Global Action,” Climate Action Benefits: Water Quality, updated 8/12/15. http://www.epa.gov/cira/climate-action-benefits-water-quality
- Extreme Heat: US EPA, Report: “Climate Change in the U.S. – Benefits of Global Action,” Climate Action Benefits: Labor, updated 6/22/15. http://www.epa.gov/cira/climate-action-benefits-labor
Photo source: Scientific American, http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/baby-virus-could-be-key-to-childhoo-2008-11-21/
- Benefits of climate action.
Photo source: Armed Forces Kid’s Fun Run, https://www.flickr.com/photos/ftmeade/7185134319
- Health benefits of a clean energy economy.
- Climate-related premature deaths: Shindell, et. al, Nature Climate Change, “Climate and health impacts of US emissions reductions consistent with 2 C,” 2/22/16. http://palgrave.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2935.html
- Non-climate annual cause of death data: Jiaquan Xu, Murphy, et. al, Division of Vital Statistics Report, “Deaths: Final Data for 2013,” 2/16/16. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
- Economic benefits of a clean energy economy.
- Valuation of avoided emissions: Shindell, et. al, Nature Climate Change, “Climate and health impacts of US emissions reductions consistent with 2 C,” 2/22/16. http://palgrave.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate2935.html
- US GDP growth: ICF International, “Economic Analysis of U.S. Decarbonization Pathways: Summary of Findings,” 11/5/15. https://nextgenamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ICF-Study-Summary-of-Findings-Decarb-Econ-Analysis-Nov-5-2015.pdf
Photo source: Pictures of money, https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictures-of-money/17123251389 (Creative Commons via CheapFullCoverageAutoInsurance.com)
- Job benefits of transitioning to a clean energy economy.
- job growth: ICF International, “Economic Analysis of U.S. Decarbonization Pathways: Summary of Findings,” 11/5/15. https://nextgenamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ICF-Study-Summary-of-Findings-Decarb-Econ-Analysis-Nov-5-2015.pdf
- Household income growth: ICF International, “Economic Analysis of U.S. Decarbonization Pathways: Summary of Findings,” 11/5/15. https://nextgenamerica.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ICF-Study-Summary-of-Findings-Decarb-Econ-Analysis-Nov-5-2015.pdf
Photo source: moncrystalline solar cell, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Klassieren.jpg; Seattle Municipal Archives “Construction worker, 2000,” https://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemunicipalarchives/2701866516
- Clean energy infrastructure
Photo sources: gas pipeline construction, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hasenh%C3%A4ge_NEL-Erdgas-Pipeline_Bau_2011-05-15_009.JPG; Electricity transmission tower, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pylon_ds.jpg; charging station, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Baka-charging-station.jpg
- The solutions are here now.
Photo source: Wind turbines in SoCal, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wind_Turbines_Southern_California_6D2B2441.jpg
- GDP growth & carbon pollution have decoupled.
- Graph: Pat Knight, Synapse Energy Economics, Inc., Synapse Electricity Snapshot 2016, “A review of the U.S. electric system through December 2015,” 3/3/16. http://www.synapse-energy.com/sites/default/files/Synapse_Electricity_Snapshot_2016.pdf
- Methane leaks from oil & gas change the picture.
- Bill McKibben, The Nation, “Global Warming’s Terrifying New Chemistry,” 3/23/16. http://www.thenation.com/article/global-warming-terrifying-new-chemistry/
Photo source: Worst-Case scenario emissions, http://www.thenation.com/article/global-warming-terrifying-new-chemistry/; Modest-Estimate scenario emissions, http://www.thenation.com/article/global-warming-terrifying-new-chemistry/
- Solar & wind are cost-competitive with gas & coal power.
- Lazard Financial Advisory, “Lazard’s Levelized Cost of Energy Analysis – Version 9.0,” 11/2015. https://www.lazard.com/media/2390/lazards-levelized-cost-of-energy-analysis-90.pdf
- The electric vehicle market is ready to boom.
- Tesla + Chevy 200 miles, mass market prices:
- Anthony Kuthbertson, Newsweek, “Tesla Model 3: What to Expect from Elon Musk’s Mass-Market Electric Car,” 2/11/16. http://www.newsweek.com/tesla-model-3-what-expect-elon-musks-mass-market-electric-car-425413
- Jeff Cobb, HybridCars, “‘Not a compliance car,’ GM says 2017 Chevy Bolt can meet demand of over 50,000 per year,” 1/14/16. http://www.hybridcars.com/not-a-compliance-car-gm-says-2017-chevy-bolt-production-capacity-exceeds-50000-per-year/
- Lifetime costs 25% below ICE vehicles: Ethan Zindler and Colleen Regan, Bloomberg New Energy Finance, “Sustainable Energy in America 2016 Factbook,” 2/8/16. http://about.bnef.com/video/sustainable-energy-in-america-2016-factbook-2/
- Ford Focus, Nissan Leaf already cheaper: Ethan Zindler and Colleen Regan, Bloomberg New Energy Finance, “Sustainable Energy in America 2016 Factbook,” 2/8/16. http://about.bnef.com/video/sustainable-energy-in-america-2016-factbook-2/
- Bloomberg quote: Tom Randall, Bloomberg Business, “Here’s How Electric Cars Will Cause the Next Oil Crisis,” 2/25/16. http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-ev-oil-crisis/
Photo source: See through image of Bolt EV, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:See-through-white-2017-Chevrolet-BoltEV-024.jpg; Southern Current LLC, Blog,
- We must act now to avoid locking in high emissions.
- Figure: Energy and Environmental Economics, Inc. (E3), Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the United States, “Figure ES 2. Stock Lifetimes and Replacement Opportunities,” 11/2014. http://unsdsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/US-Deep-Decarbonization-Report.pdf
- The Clean Power Plan is a necessary component of climate policy.
- Graph: John Larsen, Kate Larsen, Whitney Herndon, and Shashank Mohan, Rhodium Group, “Taking Stock: Progress Toward Meeting US Climate Goals,” 1/28/16. http://rhg.com/reports/progress-toward-meeting-us-climate-goals
- EPA CPP benefits: U.S. EPA, “Fact Sheet: Overview of the Clean Power Plan,” 8/6/15. http://www.epa.gov/cleanpowerplan/fact-sheet-overview-clean-power-plan
- CPP support: Alan Neuhauser, U.S. News & World Report, Data Mine Numbers You Can Use, “61 Percent of Public Supports Clean Power Plan in States Suing to Stop It,” 11/2/15. http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/11/02/61-percent-of-public-supports-clean-power-plan-in-states-suing-to-stop-it
- U.S. action cannot stop here.
- Jon Larsen, et. al, Rhodium Group, “Taking Stock: Progress Toward Meeting US Climate Goals,” 1/28/16. http://rhg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/RHG_Taking_Stock_of_US_Climate_Goals_Jan28_2016.pdf
Photo source: Graph of Rhodium Group analysis, http://rhg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/RHG_Taking_Stock_of_US_Climate_Goals_Jan28_2016.pdf